Tuesday, February 24, 2009

And the Password is.....

When I left work to say home with my kids 14 years ago, I was a third party biller in a hospital. I returned to the same office this past September. (It was weird at first because so many people are still there from when I left. It feels right and the money is good.) My boss took a chance on me and hired me back part time. I thought my brain had gone to mush and was beyond return. Happily I have found out that "I still have it."

Of course since I've been gone HIPPA has gone into effect and we no longer use carbon paper to duplicate a claim. Back then the computer that I used was the hospital's billing system, and it was a green and black screen. Now that I'm back I now have an updated title and am called a "Patient Account Billng Analyst." The green screen is gone, replaced by a this new operating system called Windows(anyone ever hear of it?) I have gone from remembering ONE password to having to put about NINETEEN passwords on a spreadsheet, for which, I need a password!

As time goes by, I need to change my passwords periodically. I had a hard enough time coming up with the passwords I had, for goodness sake!!! I'm out of ideas, I only have three kids, and their birth dates will never change. I am NOT creative at making up passwords that I can remember! Hell I can never remember how old I am, for get a friggen password!! Some programs require a capital letter and a symbol. Some need all caps, some need more than six letters, some need numbers, and most of 'em won't let you amend it by easily just adding a number to the end. Blah, blah, blah... Is it just me or are we inundated with passwords? A few weeks ago I need my social security number for something, and for the life of me I could NOT remember it. I had to look it up. And daym, it's not on my spreadsheet! My card was in the lock box. Where is that friggen key? Can you feel my pain? All these friggin numbers floating around in my head are messing with me.

Can't someone just invent a speed dial for passwords, like they have for phones?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhh she's back and Dee lightful as ever. Hey in your spare time go looking for Wenda. Haaaaaaaa spare time!

Miz Q said...

Too funny! It would seem the purpose of your passwods are as much to keep YOU out as anyone else lol

Couple of suggestions:

You can get a usb thumb drive that you can lock WITH A PASSWORD (that you don't have to change!), then put your spread sheet with all your other passwords listed on it. Keep it at work or on your keychain, it's just your very own lil lock box :o)

as to the ones you have to change regularly, but they don't cooperate with just adding a number on the end, consider adding a letter or two, maybe reverse alphabet and then the number of the month? I'm assuming they don't have to be changed more than once a month?

Maybe keep a list of the ones you've used and find out how long before you can repeat the list lol

what a pita, glad I don't have to do it! lol but it DID make for a nice post ;o)

OLLIE MCKAY'S ~ A Chic Boutique said...

LOL - great post! And a speed dial for passwords would be perfect!!!

Debz said...

I feel your pain, but that's something that's never been an issue for me. I always remember passwords and numbers. I may forget what I had for breakfast, but I never forget pw's or numbers. Weird.